Saturday 3 December 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas







We had the big Christmas Lights Switch-on on Thursday, launched by Neil and Christine Hamilton, stars of this year’s pantomime. Joe’s band The Divisional were there to do a couple of songs, which was, he said, an interesting experience. He’s played outdoors before, but never in such cold. 

Then this morning I’ve been carol singing in the library (not just me: that would be weird. I was with some friends from the choir I belong to) and then on the church steps in the town centre. I say on the steps advisedly. Apparently there was a HUGE form to fill in if we wanted to stand on the pavement. I’m sure there’s a very good reason for this (sigh).

This mini performance was a nice warm-up for our forthcoming concert in two weeks’ time. We sang out loud and proud, notwithstanding the enthusiastic accordion duo across the way who were determined not to be drowned out – and as the final notes of our plucky sopranos’ descant faded away, strains of ‘The Birdy Song’ could clearly be heard above the shoppers’ applause. We laughed: 'tis, after all, the season to be jolly.

No comments:

Post a Comment