Saturday 28 January 2012

Little bit of politics



I've just had a conversation on the doorstep with one of our local councillors. I was quite impressed that he was actually willing to pound the streets to garner the opinions of those he represents. Anyway, the burning question of the day concerns a proposal to convert a former pub at the end of our road into a Co-op store.

This pub seems to have some sort of curse on it, because it has undergone a name change and several changes of landlord, but somehow no one seems to be able to make a go of it. It is one of those unprepossessing square brick-built buildings surrounded by a raggedy car park and some half-hearted flower beds. (I'm not really selling this, am I!)

In better days
We have had some good nights there over the years - live music, quiz nights and so on - but it never had much of an atmosphere and some of the regulars always gave the impression that they were only there because the heating had gone off at home...

Part of me thinks that anything would be better than the derelict building we have at present. But we already have a lovely corner shop and, within walking distance, a Tesco Express (doesn't everyone?) and a huge Asda.

So I'm against this proposed change, even though I am a supporter of the Co-op movement.

But I hope someone takes over the building soon and does something lovely with it. If I win the Lottery I might see if I can get planning permission to turn it into a yoga studio. A girl can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment