Tuesday 12 March 2013

Generous spirits

Did anyone hear 'Twilight' creator Stephenie Meyer on Front Row last night? It was a nice little interview, but what really struck me was her generosity towards E L James when Mark Lawson described her (Meyer) as being 'inadvertently responsible' for the phenomenon that is Fifty Shades of Grey. She replied: 'I’m so far removed from it.  I haven’t read it – it’s not a genre that I have had any experience of. It’s kind of nice that she’s done so well and that she’s gotten a start, and that’s cool.'

There are a lot of nasty folk in the world, but in the two main areas in which I work I have met some lovely ones. The yoga teaching family is generous and open. If someone comes to my class and doesn't like it, I recommend somewhere else - and have had students come to me on recommendation from another teacher. Can you imaging Tesco saying, 'Sorry we can't help you. Have you tried Morrisons?'

My fellow bloggers, too, are constantly giving away helpful nuggets on writing, including details of competitions where, let's be honest, the fewer people that enter the greater the chances of winning. You see? People can be nice!


4 comments:

  1. That really is nice of her! I think I was upset on her behalf lol.. not really, I was convinced by a few friends to read Fifty Shades before learning that it was based on Twilight but while reading it I kept loosing focus because of all the similarities.
    I couldn't believe that someone would write a book that was so obviously based on Edward and Bella so in the middle of it I had to stop and google it and found out that THAT was the point so I let go... like Stephenie Meyer said, it's cool that it gave E.L. James a start.

    You are right about the writing community though, very helpful and generous, I'm lucky to be a part of it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read either. I have slightly more interest in one than the other - I'll let you guess which!

      Delete
  2. At your time of life Julia you're probably best leaving 50 Shades now :¬)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheeky! You're not that far behind me, you know!

      Delete