Friday 11 July 2014

Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside!

I didn't join in with Celebrate The Small Things last week because I was having a weekend away in Norfolk. Hubby and I went to Cromer, which is a lovely, sleepy little town. Despite dire BBC Weather warnings about rain, we were very lucky. It was actually hot on Friday, and apart from a few showers on Saturday morning during which we were forced to retire for coffee and cake the rest of the weekend was OK, too. We walked on the pier, had an ice-cream, ate chips on a bench, viewed the lifeboat, lost £5 in the machines in the arcade and generally had a good old mooch. It was grand.
Cromer: do not disturb

On the way home we popped into Sunny Hunny (that's Hunstanton), which was slightly less lovely. There was a lot of mess and litter on the beach and some very sad donkeys.
Planning to escape from Hunstanton?
 Anyway, I feel as though I've been playing catch-up all week. Goodness knows how people cope when they go away for a fortnight (I wish).

Another cause for celebration is that mum's poetry book has been launched at a church 'do' and is selling well. She has even been signing copies!

I'm having a quiet night in this evening with a bottle of wine and Season 5 of Breaking Bad. Ah, this is the life.

Have a good weekend, folks.

'Celebrate the small things' is a bloghop instigated by VikLit on her blog Scribblings of an Aspiring Author and co-hosted by Diana Wilder, LG Keltner @ Writing Off the Edge, Cyborg Mom (Katie) and CaffeMaggieato @ mscoffeehouse. Details are here

10 comments:

  1. My favourite place in a beach is the pier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a common misconception that an end-of-the-pier show is second rate, when actually it is simply a geographical description. On the evening we came home, Cromer had a drag cabaret show on offer that looked as though it was going to be fab.

      Delete
  2. I've only been to Cromer once but it was just as you described it, Julia. I have just started my first ever season of Breaking Bad... very weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick with it, Wendy. It gets better and better. When I watched House, I put off watching the final episode as long as I could because I didn't want it to end. I think the same will be true of BB.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had a great time! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place - sounds a great weekend! All best for your mum's book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've seen it in the rain and sunshine and it's always lovely. We visited earlier in the year and saw the damage done to the pier and sea walls by the December storm surge - really sad. Great little cafe with homemade cakes opposite the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The repair work has been suspended for the summer, which seems very sensible. The sea wall is looking better now, and the pier is open for business.

      Delete