Friday 17 October 2014

Happy new hair-do

Today I'm celebrating a new haircut. Well, perhaps celebrating is putting it rather strongly, because I'm not sure if I've gone a bit too short this time. I look like a squaddie. Hey ho, I expect it will grow - and we are in hat-wearing season if all else fails.

I'm at a funny age (aren't we all, I hear you cry) where hair is concerned. I'm not exactly ravaged by the march of time, but I'm clearly too old to be naturally dark all over any more. However, now that my hair is above my ears the grey is REALLY showing. What to do? Is it time to admit defeat and accept what nature has in store for me, or should I keep covering up? Maybe I should gradually go lighter and lighter and ease myself towards blonde. The trouble is that my eyebrows are dark and only certain people can get away with the two-tone look - see Billy Piper, for instance.

The stripling hairdresser who saw to me yesterday talked me through a bamboozling array of hi-lights, lo-lights (note the spelling), semi-permanent tints, quasi-tints, caps, foils, peroxide levels, bass notes, meshing, developers and finishers until I began to feel like Mel Smith in the 'gramophone' sketch from Not the Nine O'clock News. Anyhoo, I've got an appointment in five weeks' time to have something done - not quite sure what, but it will probably be fine.

Have a good weekend, folks.

'Celebrate the small things' is a bloghop instigated by VikLit on her blog Scribblings of an Aspiring Author and co-hosted by Diana Wilder, LG Keltner @ Writing Off the Edge, Cyborg Mom (Katie) and CaffeMaggieato @ mscoffeehouse. Details are here

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new hair do! Having a cut tomorrow myself and thinking I will lose a bit more off the sides - it needs something doing! Definitely try the hi-lights if you don't want a solid block of colour. Let us know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a brave girl. I've not changed my hair in ages, probably out a misplaced fear of hairdressers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not brave. Without my glasses on I can't see my reflection, so it's always a surprise to see what's been done!

      Delete
  3. Funnily enough, I had my hair cut yesterday! I usually detest going but it wasn't too bad - and I'm definitely at an age where I need a little colour, but I only use a water-based organic product. And I would never be blonde either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never do anything with my hair, so I'm generally clueless. Thanks for mentioning the gramophone sketch! I've always loved that one, and I just watched it again for a good laugh. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet it looks good (once you get used to it). Pictures please (I say, joining the group)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for commenting, friends. There will be no photos!

    ReplyDelete