Monday 20 July 2015

Poetry, please

My friend Tricia has nominated me on Face Book to name my favourite poems on four consecutive days, beginning today. This is quite a challenge for me, because poems are not my go-to art form, despite the best efforts of Mrs Morley, the teacher tasked with tutoring me in English Lit at senior school. It is, however, an appropriate challenge, not least because Tricia's husband Will is one of my son's godparents and they gave him The Walker Book of Poetry for Children as a gift to mark the occasion. Inside is inscribed a quote from one of the poems in the book, which  I choose as my favourite for today. It's by Walter de la Mare.

Me
As long as I live
I shall always be
My Self - and no other,
Just me.

Like a tree -
Willow, elder,
Aspen, thorn,
Or cypress forlorn.

Like a flower,
For its hour - 

Primrose, or pink,
Or violet -
Sunned by the sun,
And with dewdrops wet.

Always just me.
Till the day come on
When I leave this body,
It's all then done,
And the spirit within it
Is gone.

Thumbing through this lovely book to find this poem, I was reminded of an occasion when my son was at primary school and he was asked to take his favourite poem into class. He chose one from the same book. It's called 'Oodles of Noodles' by Lucia and James L. Hymes, Jr:

I love noodles. Give me oodles.
Make a mound up to the sun.
Noodles are my favorite foodles.
I eat noodles by the ton.

It's daft, I know, but it earned him a star from his teacher.

4 comments:

  1. Love the oodles of noodles, and the other one. One of my favourite poems is the Owl and the Pussycat. I think it's by Edward Lear, known for his nonsense rhymes. I see you are getting my comments from the last post. That's good it took a few goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for persevering with your comments. I really appreciate them, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like poetry, Julia, but haven't read that first one for many. many years! I keep meaning to read one poem a day from one of the many books I have and I keep forgetting! Guess it's a habit once started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nearly didn't accept this challenge, Rosemary, but I've just posted the second poem choice and find I'm rather enjoying digging through my books and reconnecting with this, for me, neglected field.

    ReplyDelete