Tuesday 18 April 2017

My first webinar

Call me old-fashioned ('You're old-fashioned!'), but I've only just taken part in my first webinar - and what a delightful portmanteau word that is. Despite by newbie status, the tech element was very straightforward and it was a pleasing way to spend an hour.

I was alerted to 'What Happened Next? Plotting a Story' by Helen Yendall on her excellent Blog About Writing. The free webinar was presented by Barbara Henderson of Penguin/Random House’s The Writers’ Academy, and while it didn't really tell me anything I hadn't heard before it was a useful reminder of the basics of story, plot and narrative. Of course, it was actually a taster for its forthcoming online course 'Constructing A Novel', also with Barbara Henderson, but at £799 that's a bit out of my reach.

There were a couple of writing books recommend: Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell and Writer With a Day Job by Aine Greaney, plus the novel We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. I'd be interested to know if any of you has these and whether they're worth buying.

And remember, folks: if there's no conflict, there's no story.

8 comments:

  1. Julia, I got Writer with a Day Job on Kindle and I'm reading it now - will let you know my opinion shortly! I've ordered the Plot & Structure book as an actual book, so haven't got that yet. I did enjoy We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves but I hate it, I must admit, when people tell you there's a twist, as you spend the whole time anticipating the twist and trying to guess it...! I'd rather just be surprised! But yes, I'd say that one is worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Webinars are a great way of learning or keeping up to date with publishing options - I usually listen to a few from online gurus now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've taken the plunge, Rosemary, I shall definitely tune into more.

      Delete
  3. I must be old fashioned too, Julia, as I've never taken part in a webinar other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love webinars. I take quite a few through Writer's Digest. My favorite writer's resource currently is 90 days to Your Novel by Sarah Domet. I do have one of the books you mentioned and haven't opened it yet. I love Domet's book so much. Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many resources available, Erika. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete