Sunday 21 May 2017

Feeding the soul

A scene from 'Dreaming Our Woods'
I don't have much of a daily routine, because my work is different each day; I rise and retire at varying times, depending on what the day promises; and I eat when I'm hungry, not at set times. However, even I'm feeling out of kilter at the moment. The 'Dreaming Our Woods' performances were wonderful, although I say it as shouldn't, but the post-show comedown has been bleak. What on earth am I going to do with myself now it's all over?

Well, one thing I've done today is to attend 'Continuum', the last event of the Our Woods festival, postponed from March when storm Doris was in town, so once again I found myself in the Corby woods thinking, 'I've never done this before!' A fabulous walk led by artists Carol Miles and Jo Dacome found me lying on my back looking at the tree canopy through a mirror-prism device to mesmerising kaleidoscopic effect; and making a show of human bluebells with sheets of Perspex. All great fun.

They say that if you want to be creative you should mix with other creative types, and I've certainly been doing that recently. Early fruits include a short story in the current issue of Ireland's Own magazine.

I really must get back to normal, though - or as normal as I ever am. This week I shall get more exercise, eat better and, as a result, I hope, sleep better. So much to do, so little time.

4 comments:

  1. You do experience such interesting activities, Julia - all good for a creative mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Rosemary. It's good to know someone is reading what I write.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your story in Ireland's Own, Julia! No mean achievement. Sorry I don't often comment (and you are so good at commenting on my blog - shamed face :() but I will try to improve!! I know it can be a little disheartening when you're blogging away and it seems like no-one's reading what you write! (It happens to me too). I think people do read them but they are just too busy, sometimes, to put fingers to keypad..! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete