Sunday 11 February 2018

Stepping out of my comfort zone

The past workaday week was enlivened by a couple of unusual happenings.

On Thursday, I spent the whole day teaching yoga to Year 12 students at a local senior school. This was a real privilege, but I was shattered by the end of the day. No wonder full-time school teachers always have their eyes fixed on the next holiday! You can read about it on my yoga blog here.

Before that, though, on Wednesday evening I had a book launch for Nine Lives as part of a Weaving Words presents event. This is a new happening, organised by my friend and guide Kezzabelle (Weaving Words is her writing community, of which I am part).

To say I was nervous is an understatement, but once I got going I was fine. The event was held in the upstairs room of the Eden Cafe here in Kettering. We dressed the set, as it were, to look like my book cover, which was Kez's idea and made a real difference, transforming an already lovely room into a proper performance space. Our friend Ros played a couple of songs to get us in the mood and then off we went. I read three of my monologues, and two more out of my book were read by other people. There were poetry readings and there was art for sale.

I sold a few books and made some new friends, so I'm counting it as a successful evening. Most important, though, I learnt lessons about what works and what doesn't, and what areas of my performance I need to work on.

The only down side was the dent my ego took when I saw the photos! Inside - and I'm sure I'm not alone in this delusion - I'm 17 and gorgeous. The reality is that I'm old and jowly. Perhaps I should follow singer Sia's example and wear a long wig over my face.

12 comments:

  1. oh, I wish I'd gotten introduced to yoga when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too early - or too late - to start practising yoga.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a perfect evening to me. I would have enjoyed that. It's so important to have those experiences where you learn what works and what doesn't (in a lot of life areas!), isn't it... Otherwise, how can we improve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that it's all over I realise I enjoyed it - and yes, next time will be even better.

      Delete
  3. What a great week. Your last paragraph made me laugh - I know exactly what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have to spend some time in front of the mirror deciding which is my best side, Wendy.

      Delete
  4. I have recently taken up yoga - well, I am taking it up very slowly...I hate groups so am following some videos online - yes, yes, I know a class would be better but I have the benefit of an experienced daughter and a friend who guide me. I always feel better after a short session! As for covering your face um no, remember, everyone else is used to how we look and we can continue to imagine we look 17 if we wish :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some great online sessions, Deborah, and they can work well, especially if you have someone to work along side you, as you have. Keep it up.

      Delete
  5. Hi Julia
    I pleased your book launch went well. I'm having one later in the year and it may be months away, but the nerves are bubbling up already! What if no one turns up? What if I freeze? Still, it's what I've dreamed of so I'm not going to complain. Thanks for the heads-up photographs and jowls - *makes note to take sellotape with me*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kezzabelle, who helped organise my launch, said to me, 'It won't matter if nobody turns up. We'll still have a nice time. There'll just be fewer of us.' Love this woman! In the event, the room was packed. We'd invited hundreds of people, hoping for about 1% to turn up. Where are you having your launch? Do you know yet?

      Delete
  6. Congrats on Nine Lives and your successful book launch! Eh, you don't really want to be 17 anyway. It's a tough age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right, Priscilla, but I wouldn't mind looking a bit perkier!

      Delete